Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I'm back(garage)!

whew, another unexpected little break, hm? sorry about that, kids. busy times, busy times... hopefully I'll have some fun news to share with you very soon!

one thing that I definitely neglected to mention is that I'm now a bi-monthly guest poster over at BackGarage! it's been one of my favorite reads since moving to Chicago and I'm very honored to be a little part of it.

my first post debuted two weeks ago, check it out:

This is a guest post by Dean Fisher.

Hi. So, I know we just met and all, but...I have to tell you something. I'm addicted to Craigslist. Oh... you are too? Well then, we're going to get along swimmingly! In my bi-monthly "Furniture Finder" posts, I'm going to put together a room using only Craigslist treasures. I'm gonna try to stick to my personal "under $100" rule, but that's not always possible. Hey, let's not waste anymore time, let's put together a living room!

3m83pe3l45Oc5Q85P49ad5fa4dcddab121a65

I knew I had to kick things off with this green couch as soon as I saw it. Sure, the photo isn't the best, but it's that perfect shade of kelly green and it's a budget-friendly piece at $140. It's deep, looks like it'd seat at least 3 people, and the seller even offers to deliver (a huge plus in my book). YES!

I instantly knew I wanted to pair it with a marble-topped coffee table to keep the vibe on the "glam" side, which would balance the very "typical vintage" look of the sofa. One of the first things that popped up in my search? This stunner:

3m53p73l85T05R85S19ac7ad66a0a568917a4

Um, you guys... did you notice that it's only $50? What a STEAL! The first thing I'd do is bust out the primer, paint, and wipe-on poly and transform that ugly base into something sleek and simple. High-gloss white sounds just right for this chic space and would look perfect with that gorgeous slab of carrera marble.

Now onto the rug, which, as The Dude will tell you, "really ties the room together". Hey, he's right! Lately I've been loving layered rugs, so I was thrilled when I came across these two:

That. Kilim. Is. Gorgeous. Can you imagine how the bright colors would pop in front of the deeply verdant couch? Since, at 5x10, it's really too small for a living room, I would layer it over this (brand new!) seagrass rug which is more appropriately sized. Using a rug that's too small for your space is one of the most common decorating mistakes...when in doubt, go for the larger option!

I really like how the chocolate binding picks up on the brown hues in the kilim and the natural weave nicely accompanies the other natural elements in the room (like the marble and...well, you'll see). The kilim is a basement bargain at $125 and the seagrass rug is being offered for only $200, which is also a great deal for something that size.

Now we need some character and accent pieces...For example, this woven stool would look rad next to an armchair:

3n83o43p75O65T15S39a8619c82410eb51066

It's been on Craigslist for months-- In fact, I was gonna pick it up for something like $30 a while back, but ended up passing on it. It'd look lovely in between a pair of wingbacks and is the perfect place to rest an ashtray or a cocktail glass...

And then there's my absolute favorite kind of accessory...the dead kind!

3k43md3l75Q65Pc5R29aabcc22f002ba212ac

Okay, I kid...kinda. I have an unnatural fascination with taxidermy and my house is full of it. There are two things I always try to incorporate into every room (of my own and clients'!); those being a bar and something that was once living. Anyway, wouldn't this African antelope look fantastic above the sofa? He'd command the whole room and would really lend to the "traveled" vibe at which the kilim hints. There's no price attached (don't you hate that?), but I'd offer a very fair $150 and see what happened.

So... what else would you include? I'd love to find some rad end tables for either side of the sofa, throw in a pair of brass lamps, maybe a sleek, modern Parsons table for the flatscreen, some strategically-placed stacks of magazines, and perhaps that aforementioned pair of wingbacks that you can always find cheaply on Craigslist (but you have to be ready to invest in reupholstering them!).

If you have requests or suggestions, please leave them in comments! Do you have a room that you want to redecorate, but aren't sure where to start? Are you looking for a specific piece for a specific space? Lay it on me. I'll find your furniture.

Dean is from Kentucky, but just moved to Chicago after living in Los Angeles for a while. Still there? Good, cause it gets weirder. Dean is a girl with a dude's name, has a severe aversion to cilantro, and always says "yes" to fun.

what'd ya think?? I'm putting the second one together right now and it will be up tomorrow morning. don't forget to check BackGarage to find out what kind of rad, affordable treasures I'm finding for a plantation-influenced dining room!

No comments:

Post a Comment