Sunday, March 7, 2010

type hype

I've always been fascinated with typography and am especially intrigued when it's in a foreign language. while living in Ukrainian Village, I loved walking through the neighborhood; shop windows were covered in hand-painted lettering and churches wore faded signs...their words made no sense to me, but I loved how the letters curled and connected...
so imagine my delight when the December issue of Creative Characters, the MyFonts newsletter, popped into my inbox just before Christmas, featuring three super talented lady-designers from Moscow.

I was instantly drawn to Vera Evstafieva's Dulsinea (used for "Moscow" above), which is based on a Russian writing style from the late 19th century that she discovered after finding papers in a family archive.
I'm a sucker for any kind of hand-written typeface, and I love watching the intricate process of creating an alphabet (and more)...

the girls studied under Alexander Tarbeev and from what I read, I appreciate his approach to teaching. Tarbeev upholds the philosophy that his teacher passed on to him, that "It is impossible to teach students any skills, but it's possible to create conditions for them to learn."
do any of you have a favorite typeface or designer? please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment